Newly Diagnosed

• veggiegurlshay
  • veggiegurlshay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 4 months ago #14 by veggiegurlshay
Newly Diagnosed was created by veggiegurlshay
I'm newly diagnosed and I feel like I dont know how to eat. I stare at the cupboards and just wonder "if I eat this will I feel worse?" and usually wind up not eating anything. I'm basically eating eggs right now. I'm so uncomfortable that its the only food I seem to trust right now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #18 by Alex
Replied by Alex on topic Newly Diagnosed
I am new here and saw your post! I got diagnosed a couple of years ago and was really struggling at beginning. But its not as bad as it seems. You can eat lots of things. I just found that fructose table in the fructose intolerance section. Have you tried red beet? Potatoes and rice and meat are totally ok for me and most vegetables too except onions.:( I am trying to find out if coconut is ok but I haven't found anything yet.

More
8 years 4 months ago #58 by Amber
Replied by Amber on topic Newly Diagnosed
I'm not even officially diagnosed yet, just self-diagnosed. I'm not actually certain whether it's fructose that I'm intollerant of or if I'm sensitive to corn products. Whatever the case, I sympathize with your frustration. HFCS is just so difficult to avoid in the U.S. and it's not intuitive at all. I mean, who would guess it'd be in saltine crackers?! I find that grocery shopping takes at least twice as long as it used to because I have to read every single lable. And eating out is a joke, a complete gamble. Even when you can find out if something has HFCS in it, the people behind the counter look at you like you're from Mars for asking.

I'm sure it'll get better. Considering the excessive amounts that Americans consume, it's my guess that more and more people will turn up with this condition, it will become as well known as lactose or gluten intollerance, and fructose labeling will have to improve along with other allergen labeling. But for now, argh!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gk22

More
7 years 5 months ago #199 by gk22
Replied by gk22 on topic Newly Diagnosed
Hello Amber, I live in Seattle, Washington, & concur with your report. I have Fructose Malabsorbance (FM) and Lactose Intolerance (LI). I love to eat bread and have found that almost all breads offered in grocery stores in the Seattle area (Albertson, QFC, Safeway,etc) have one or more of the following ingredients, which are known to be bad for folks with FM & LI:

High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), sugar, molasses, honey, milk, and whey (the last two are bad for folks with LI). So far the only breads that are favorable for me are "Sourdough" and "Rye". Like yourself, I do read the labels on food products, and find it a challenge to explain my condition to people (including friends).

More
6 years 4 months ago #278 by MichaelZ
Replied by MichaelZ on topic Newly Diagnosed
can we eat the sugar free frozen stuff? There's erythritol or maltodextrin used for that food, sometimes it's Isomalt. Don't know what that is. Is it good when suffering from Fructose Malabsorption?

Time to create page: 0.312 seconds

login

Register
Remember Me
Forgot username  Forgot password

Advertising

Advertising

Certifications & Quality

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

quality criteria logoThe information provided is created in compliance with a self-imposed quality management procedure

Disclaimer

The information provided on the Food Intolerance Network website is no substitute for a visit to a registered dietician, nutritionist or a doctor. The information that you will find here may not be used as a substitute for professional advice and treatment by a medical professional or approved and registered dieticians. The content of the Food Intolerance Network website may not be used as a basis or means for any form of self-diagnosis.

Go to top