• Learmount
  • Learmount's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #343 by Learmount
Wholegrain oats (porridge) was created by Learmount
Hi there.

I was recently diagnosed with fructose malabsorption and have been on the elimination diet for a couple of weeks now. Like many of you I've read and been given much confusing information about what I can and can't eat!
Just when I've started to get my head around this diet, I bought a guide/cook book for fructose malabsorption sufferers and it states that we should AVOID ALL WHOLEMEAL PRODUCTS.

I've been having porridge (quaker - 100% wholegrain oats) every day for the last 2 weeks and after much googleing I can't seem to find out wether this is ok or not.
What I have found out from my searching is that it seems wholemeal and wholegrain products are one and the same, yet my doctor told me that a great option for breakfast would be porridge!?
Am I buying the wrong kind of porridge? I searched 2 supermarkets and ALL porridge oats seem to be wholegrain.

I'm very confused! And although my symptoms have been improving, I certainly don't want to be eating something I shouldn't be every day for breakfast!

Can Anybody help?

Many thanks,

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #344 by MrT
Replied by MrT on topic Wholegrain oats (porridge)
Hi!
The fructose restiricted diet should only be done 2 weeks, not more. After that you have to introduce fructose to your meals! If you don't eat fructose for a long period of time, your intestine will no longer produce GLUT-5 transporters. GLUT-5 transporters are expressed as soon as you eat fructose, so in the test persiod you have to re-introduce fructose to your diet. Otherwise the malabsorption will get worse!

Wholgrain: I tolerate wholegrain very well, but only in the afternoon. That's why I changes my daily routine... I eat porridge in the evening and bread with ham and cheese in the morning :-)

Wholegrain is okay, but it has more fructose than normal grain and it has higher amounts of fiber. So during the fructose restricted diet you shouldn't eat it, but after those 2 weeks (!) you can test it.

hope I could help you... It's a bit confusing.... ;-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds

login

Register
Remember Me
Forgot username  Forgot password

Advertising

Advertising

Certifications & Quality

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

quality criteria logoThe information provided is created in compliance with a self-imposed quality management procedure

Disclaimer

The information provided on the Food Intolerance Network website is no substitute for a visit to a registered dietician, nutritionist or a doctor. The information that you will find here may not be used as a substitute for professional advice and treatment by a medical professional or approved and registered dieticians. The content of the Food Intolerance Network website may not be used as a basis or means for any form of self-diagnosis.

Go to top