Did People Think You A Hypochondriac?

• veggiegurlshay
  • veggiegurlshay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 4 months ago #16 by veggiegurlshay
Did People Think You A Hypochondriac? was created by veggiegurlshay
I'm curious to know if your friends or mostly your family thought you were a hypochondriac when you used to complain that you didnt feel well or about your eating habits.

I think my family thought I was a flake or something because I was always fiddling with food combinations. One week eating this and the next week restricting the other thing and eating something new.

I think I have felt so crappy for so long that I just keep looking for a solution to make me feel better or "normal". I never knew what was wrong till this week and I'm glad to know I'm not crazy as well. I feel validated that there is a name for this intolerance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #19 by Alex
Replied by Alex on topic Did People Think You A Hypochondriac?
I had the same reaction from my friends! They thought I was totally crazy. I was convinced I had a problem with food but they did'nt believe me. It got better now. I think its because they can see that I am feeling good and gaining weight. I still have problems at times, but its not as bad as it used to be. I always knew I wasn't a hypochondriac although at times before I found out what I've got I started to worry I might be one.

More
8 years 4 months ago #21 by Clay
Replied by Clay on topic Did People Think You A Hypochondriac?
My friends reacted the same way. Some tried very hard to "understand". I'm lactose intolerant, but when I was invited for dinner they often cooked wheat-free. Explaining them what they did wrong often made me look like an idiot and sometimes like a hypochondriac. Especially when they really cooked dairy-free, but forgot the lactose in the soup cube.

Well, today I just take lactase enzyme and everybody is happy. Exept, now they think I am ill all the time, cause I always take pills... argh...

• veggiegurlshay
  • veggiegurlshay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 4 months ago #22 by veggiegurlshay
Replied by veggiegurlshay on topic Did People Think You A Hypochondriac?
I had a blow up at my mother in law yesterday. She just keeps suggesting foods I know I cant eat. "Well how bout if I make this with just a lil bit of this?"...I got so frustrated I said, "Don't worry about me and family gatherings. I'll either bring my own food or cook my food here with you."

I wasnt trying to be rude. I was just so frustrated. Its stressful. I was feeling better and then I ate something that has set me off again and I am just tired of this.

More
8 years 4 months ago #57 by Amber
Replied by Amber on topic Did People Think You A Hypochondriac?
It's funny, but the women on my mom's side of the family have always been known for having touchy stomachs. Some have even been diagnosed with IBS. Everyone just assumed I was carrying on the family tradition. Maybe I am. Maybe they're all sensitive to fructose too.

More
8 years 3 months ago #59 by Alex
Replied by Alex on topic Did People Think You A Hypochondriac?
You know I was also thinking that I might have IBS for ages, but it turned out I had fructose intolerance and histamine intolerance! How crazy is that?! You think you have one thing and then it turns out you have something completely different!:huh:

Time to create page: 0.320 seconds

login

Register
Remember Me
Forgot username  Forgot password

Advertising

Advertising

Certifications & Quality

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

quality criteria logoThe information provided is created in compliance with a self-imposed quality management procedure

Disclaimer

The information provided on the Food Intolerance Network website is no substitute for a visit to a registered dietician, nutritionist or a doctor. The information that you will find here may not be used as a substitute for professional advice and treatment by a medical professional or approved and registered dieticians. The content of the Food Intolerance Network website may not be used as a basis or means for any form of self-diagnosis.

Go to top