Advertising

Cooking milk for 25 minutes a problem?

• MikeT
  • MikeT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #266 by MikeT
MikeT created the topic: Cooking milk for 25 minutes a problem?
I'm trying a new breakfast: cream of rice/quinoa

I cook 1.5 cups milk, 1/4 cup quinoa/rice, 1.5oz of coconut oil for 25 minutes.

Does the act of cooking milk for 25 minutes create histamines?

Would I be better off with an "instant" oatmeal from an envelope which cooks is 3 minutes?

(I'm trying really hard to just eat real food and do less processed stuff.)

Thanks for any thoughts,
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #268 by jeabea
jeabea replied the topic: Re: Cooking milk for 25 minutes a problem?
I was just reading something on the subject of heating milk today. It's in French and it's written by a doctor and is quite technical so I'll just give you the gist of it: according to him (Dr. Jean-Pierre Willem), heating milk is very bad because it modifies the proteins causing "glycation" and things I don't really understand. He feels that if you absolutely cannot do without milk, even though it presents other dangers, raw milk is probably the lesser evil.

• MikeT
  • MikeT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #269 by MikeT
MikeT replied the topic: Re: Cooking milk for 25 minutes a problem?
Interesting, thank you for the reply.

Mike

More
4 years 10 months ago #293 by dotslady
dotslady replied the topic: Re: Cooking milk for 25 minutes a problem?
I recently read that raw milk has LOTS more bacteria because it's not pasteurized; this would be contraindicated for histamine intolerance. If you try raw milk, I'd be interested to know how you got on.

More
4 years 10 months ago #298 by MikeS
MikeS replied the topic: Re: Cooking milk for 25 minutes a problem?
Of course, since I'm not certain I have a histamine problem, I'm probably not a good person to ask.

I seem to have narrowed my hypothesis down to histamines, oxalates, or salt sensitivity.

I seem to be ok with the the raw milk, but I think I have a problem when I blend up smoothies with blueberries, strawberries and banana.

I'm stopping fruits & veggies today, and had just raw milk, icecream, grass fed beef, grass fed butter & salt. I think I should repeat that for a few days if I have the will-power. That will at least rule out the salt (if I start feeling better, despite the salt - I had been severely limiting salt).

I will post another thread on this but since you're here:

Do you think edema, muscle cramping and headaches could be a reaction to histamines, even if I'm not sneezing or having seasonal allergy symptoms?

Thanks,
Mike

More
4 years 10 months ago #300 by dotslady
dotslady replied the topic: Re: Cooking milk for 25 minutes a problem?
Edema and headaches could be histamine related. Muscle cramping sounds like it could be minerals/electrolytes ie magnesium, potassium, phosphorus.

If you're blending blueberries (which have benzoate and/or alkaloid properties), strawberries and bananas (histamine liberators), why couldn't the bacteria in the raw milk also contribute? There's also casomorphine properties or caseine protein which could produce an imperceivable intolerance? My thinking about histamine intolerance is that it has a lot to do with your personal gut biome and the types of bacteria you add to it.

Oxolates and salt (maybe indirectly) can also be histamine related. If you know about oxolates, then maybe you're familiar with leaky gut? bit.ly/oxolateslg Salt affects electrolytes and mineral balance which affect balance which could contribute to vertigo, which is histamine related (I had a bout w/vertigo, which wasn't fun).

Leaky gut deserves a paragraph in and of itself. LOL. Gluten and dairy free diet is helpful to help restore the gut lining. I'm sorry if this is old news, I don't know what you know, and vice-versa. I'm throwing out what I can think of and you'll have to continue figuring it out for your circumstances.

Allergy symptoms (runny nose, itchy eyes etc) would increase your histamine bucket load making you less likely to take in as much dietary histamine. Emotions also play a role (emotions are gut-related). So while your trial diet is without fruit and veg (less histamine), your milk "should" be okay histamine-wise, your beef hopefully was frozen (less histamine), butter and salt don't have much histamine; you may therefore tolerate the bacteria from the raw milk. Does that make sense? I hope you don't do that for long, and can add in other lower-histamine fruit/veg. :) Romaine and apples are a good start.

Time to create page: 0.293 seconds

login

Register
Remember Me
Forgot username  Forgot password

Advertising

Advertising

Certifications & Quality

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

quality criteria logoThe information provided is created in compliance with a self-imposed quality management procedure

Disclaimer

The information provided on the Food Intolerance Network website is no substitute for a visit to a registered dietician, nutritionist or a doctor. The information that you will find here may not be used as a substitute for professional advice and treatment by a medical professional or approved and registered dieticians. The content of the Food Intolerance Network website may not be used as a basis or means for any form of self-diagnosis.

Go to top