• MrT
  • MrT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #323 by MrT
new to fructose malabsorption was created by MrT
hey there
I am new to the whole fructose malabsorption thing... just reading some sites and books...
I don't get it... so here are some questions, maybe you can help me:

1. what about sugar? Good or bad?
2. what about agave syrup? good or bad?
3. whatg about potatoes? Good or bad?
4. what about nuts? good or bad?
5. are there any cross reactions to intolerances? I mean allergies?

Thank you!

I am also lactose intolerant and it looks like I react to nuts and peanuts. but i didn't get tested yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #324 by AllisonT
Replied by AllisonT on topic new to fructose malabsorption
I am no expert myself, but I've read a lot over the christmas holidays... so here are my two cents:

1. what about sugar? Good or bad? - Bad in first weeks, okay after the test phase
2. what about agave syrup? good or bad? - don't know
3. whatg about potatoes? Good or bad? - good, but cut them in small pieces before you cook them
4. what about nuts? good or bad? - I think they are kay, except peanuts
5. are there any cross reactions to intolerances? I mean allergies? - don't know that...

More
5 years 1 month ago #333 by jtlevi
Replied by jtlevi on topic new to fructose malabsorption
I was diagnosed with FM 3 years ago so know quite a bit. You might want to research going on a FODMAP diet. If you have an intolerance to fructose, you may have intolerances to other sugars. The FODMAP diet will eliminate all of these and then you can introduce things back every 2-3 days and monitor your symptoms. This was very hard when I did it and I had a Registered Dietician help me through it. Took 2 months of complete elimination before my gut felt better.

To answer your above questions....
Table sugar (dextrose) is okay. For me, it was a dose tolerance thing. I learned I can not do more than 5mg of sugar in a sitting and that some days that would be my mx.
Agave syrup - worst offender - high in fructose - so is honey
White potatoes are fine...some people do find with sweet potatoes.
Nuts - Fine
An intolerance is completely different than an allergy. I am not aware of cross reactions though have heard of a test that can test you for cross reactions with intolerances - can't remember the name of it. A functional medicine dr. could tell you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drtwich

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds

login

Register
Remember Me
Forgot username  Forgot password

Advertising

Advertising

Certifications & Quality

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

quality criteria logoThe information provided is created in compliance with a self-imposed quality management procedure

Disclaimer

The information provided on the Food Intolerance Network website is no substitute for a visit to a registered dietician, nutritionist or a doctor. The information that you will find here may not be used as a substitute for professional advice and treatment by a medical professional or approved and registered dieticians. The content of the Food Intolerance Network website may not be used as a basis or means for any form of self-diagnosis.

Go to top